Visit Sénanque Abbey
Discover one of the region's must-see attractions, a 30-minute drive from the hotel
Nestling in the heart of the Luberon, Sénanque Abbey is located in the commune of one of the most beautiful villages in the Vaucluse: Gordes.
This Cistercian abbey, which is still in operation, has won over visitors over the centuries with its Romanesque architecture and bucolic landscapes.
The history of Sénanque Abbey
Founded in 1148 by Cistercian monks, the abbey was not completed until 1220.
Built in Romanesque style, the abbey stands out for its sobriety, which today is the source of its charm.
The surrounding countryside provided important natural resources such as stone, wood and water from the Sénancole stream.
The abbey went through several periods over the years:
- The Golden Age, in the 13th and 14th centuries, during which the abbey increased its influence and its domain.
- Periods of turmoil, from the 15th to 16th centuries, with the War of Religion, which led to the abbey being burnt down and monks hanged.
- The rebirth of the abbey after a community of monks moved back in.
When and how to visit Sénanque Abbey
🎫 Whatever the season, the monks open the doors of their abbey to tourists. There are two ways to visit the abbey:
- Self-guided tours using augmented reality (Histopad)
- 1-hour guided tours, with a tour guide.
- Self-guided tours: €8.5
- Guided tours: €8
⏳ Opening times:
- Monday to Saturday: 9.45am to 11am (last admission) and 1pm to 5pm (last admission)
- Sunday: 1pm to 5pm (last admission)
Book your hotel in the Luberon
Come to Cavaillon in the Luberon and stay at the Hôtel du Parc.
Our hotel with its Provencal charm will charm you with its comfortable, air-conditioned and tastefully decorated rooms.
Families will love our family room, which can accommodate up to 4 people. Couples will love the balcony room, where you can enjoy a drink or breakfast.
For your comfort, we offer a range of services, including
- a tasty all-you-can-eat buffet breakfast
- secure underground parking
- bicycle and motorbike parking
- a bar
Book your hotel in Cavaillon now at the best rate directly on our website!